Where the Names Come From
- Glasgow was named after Glasgow in Scotland. The post-office operated from 1868 to 1913.
- Goodwood storekeeper, Michael Chapman, turned part of his premesis into a hotel. Tavern owners had to display a sign, so he called his place "The Goodwood House" after his home in England. When the post-office was opened, it was also called Goodwood.
- Leaskdale post-office which opened in 1857 was named after the Leask family.
- Quaker Hill
- Quaker pioneers started arriving in Uxbridge Township in 1805, and the high land along the 6th Concession where many of them settled soon became known as Quaker Hill.
- The post-office at Roseville was called Rothes, and the newspaper reported the local news under Rothesville. It is thought that Roseville came into use as it is easier to say than Rothesville. It was also called Mortsonville and Hutchinson's Corners.
- Sandford may have been named after Sir Sandford Fleming. The post-office was opened in 1862. The area had originally been called Salem after the local Methodist Church.
- Scott Township
- Scott Township was named after Thomas Scott, a lawyer from Scotland who was appointed Chief Justic of Upper Canada in the early 1800's. The first post-office there was called Scott, and was open at Ashworth for only a couple of years in the 1850's.
- Siloam was originally called Dikeville after the Dike family. Siloam post-office opened on the 3rd Concession in 1872, and closed in 1918. It is a Biblical name.
- Udora was originally called Snoddon's Corners. When a meeting was held to select a name for the post-office, the chairman asked the people attending for opions. He looked at Dora Brethour (Mrs. Webster) and asked, "What about you Dora?". Thus, the name became Udora. This story may be true, but there are two Eudoras in the United States. The post-office opened in 1862.
Zephyr post-office was opened in 1865. The name means a soft, gentle breeze.
- Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
- Uxbridge Town was named after the township which followed the custom used when naming the first post-office in a township.
Uxbridge Township was named after Uxbridge, Middlesex, England.
Local tradition suggests another origin:
An early settler is supposed to have made an "Ox Bridge" by putting his ox into the stream, putting planks over its back, and pulling his cart across it.
- Uxbridge, Middlesex, England
- Uxbridge in England was named after a Saxon tribe called the Wixan. It was also called Wxebruge or Woxbridge.
- Uxbridge Township, North Dakota, United States
- Uxbridge Township in North Dakota was named by settlers from Uxbridge, Ontario. The first post-office there was called Uxbridge, and later changed to Leal. The first postmaster there was Joseph J. Bascom, a relative of Joseph Bascom who was the first postmaster at Uxbridge, Ontario.
Reference: Historical Highlights of Uxbridge-Scott by Allan McGillivray
Photo by Kimberley Kelland
© 1996 - Uxbridge On-Line Inc.